Give us their first meeting: their first kiss, or even their first time… We want to see your prowess at developing sexual tension in a scene of 3000 words or less. This contest is for published and unpublished authors of erotic or sexy/steamy romance. Published works must have a copyright year of 2016. Any works previously published must be significantly altered and published with a new copyright year of 2016. The excerpt submitted must be from a completed work of any length, (i.e., a short story, novella, or novel). You will be given feedback/critique for each entry.
PLEASE NOTE: This isn’t a contest for sex scenes, it’s about the tension. The longing between your two (or three or more;0) characters – it doesn’ t need to include a physical aspect. Also, we really mean 3000 words or less, but sometimes less is more. You will be judged on your tension, and your writing skills, so please pick your best tension filled scene.
Sign up to be a judge!
- Contest Opens: October 31, 2016
- Entry Deadline: December 15th, 2016
- Category Semi-Finalists announced: February 14, 2017
- Category Finalists announced: March 17, 2017
- Saucy Scribbler announced: April 17, 2017
- Contemporary – Excerpts with erotic elements that focus on the developing romantic relationship in a contemporary setting. Includes series and single-title length romances. Can also include elements of romantic suspense/intrigue.
- Historical – Excerpts with erotic elements that focus on the developing romantic relationship in a historical setting.
- Speculative – Excerpts with erotic elements that focus on the developing romantic relationship in any setting in the future, an alternate world/reality, paranormal, or fantasy world. Includes elements such as elves/faerie, sword & sorcery, aliens, time travel, vampires, werewolves, etc.
- Suspense / Thriller / Mystery – Excerpts with erotic elements that focus on the developing romantic relationship in any setting that includes elements of suspense, mystery, or thriller elements.
- First round judging (semi-finalists): Will be judged by readers, writers, reviewers, booksellers and librarians. The top three excerpts, or semi-finalists, in each category as determined by judging scores will move on to the final round of judging. The semi-finalists will receive a semi-finalist certificate and digital badge.
- Final round judging (finalists): The three semi-finalists in each category will be judged by multi-published authors, agents, and editors. A finalist will be chosen based on the score sheets. The decisions of the judges are final. All finalists will receive a critique from the judge as well as a finalist certificate and digital badge. Each category finalist will also receive:
- A $25.00 cash prize OR
- For winning works which are unpublished, authors have the option to have their entry fee sponsored by Passionate Ink for RWA’s upcoming Golden Heart Award for unpublished romance authors for the current year. (We’ll pay the entry fee directly versus give a cash prize of the same value.)
- Special Guest Judge: The five winning entries will be passed on to our Special Guest Judge and one will be chosen as their personal favorite and receive the title of “Saucy Scribbler” along with a digital graphic.
The following agents, editors, and publishing houses have agreed to participate as Finalist Judges!
Alissa Davis of Carina Press
Stephanie Doig of Carina Press
Rhonda Helms of Carina Press
Kate Richards of Decadent Publishing
Liz Pelletier of Entangled Publishing
Sandra Bunino of Evernight Publshing
Toni Kelley of eXtasy Books
Tahra Seplowin of Harlequin Desire
Kierstin Cherry of LooseID
GG Royale of LooseID
Amanda Siemen of Lyrical Press
Lori Perkins of Riverdale Avenue Books
Austin Blake of Siren BookStrand
RULES FOR ENTRY
- Contest is open to all works published or unpublished in the erotic or erotic or sexy/spicy romance sub-genres.
- Published entries must be published with a copyright date in 2016 or an unpublished work.
- Entries must be from a completed work of romance.
- It is the author’s responsibility to enter in the correct category. All clarifications as to category should be made prior to submission. Entries submitted in the wrong category, as determined by two or more judges, will be disqualified without refund. The judges’ decision is final.
- One entry cannot be entered in multiple categories, but multiple works (up to three per category) are welcome if accompanied by the proper completed entry form and full entry fee.
- There must be a minimum of ten entries or the category will be canceled. If the minimum number of entries is not attained, entrants will be notified. The entrant will be asked to provide a second choice of categories. If the entrant does not wish to place the entry in another category, the entry and associated fees will be returned.
- The entry must come from a work that is completed and is in the erotic or spicy/sexy romance genres. The story must also contain a “Happily-Ever-After” or “Happy-For-Now” ending to be considered a romance.
- Failure to comply with the rules will result in disqualification.
- Decisions of the Contest Coordinator are final.
- Click here to enter.